Sunday, August 2, 2009

Cannot get a task to schedule properly via Windows XP Task Scheduler?

My goal : Simply launch a webpage at 2:00am every morning. I went to the web page (www.weather.com) using Firefox and "pulled" the address to the desktop to create a shortcut. Cut and paste the shortcut to c:\ drive. Did the scheduler wizard and pointed it to the shortcut on the c:\ drive. Set it for a couple minutes in the future to test it. At first, it was an account problem. So I create a Task account, gave it Admin rights and set a password which I then redid the Task wizard once again. The test time comes and goes and when I take a look at the Scheduled Tasks tab, it now just says "Could not start" under status. I'm assuming I can't do this with a shortcut - just executables? Can I wrap the shortcut in a .bat file and if so, would do I use as syntax to launch the webpage shortcut?





or if there is an easier way please, please enlighten me. Thanks much in advance!

Cannot get a task to schedule properly via Windows XP Task Scheduler?
You can open Firefox to a specific page by entering the URL after the executable name. In the task scheduler, where you enter the path of the executable, you can also append parameters. Try typing c:\path\firefox.exe "www.weather.com"


No comments:

Post a Comment