Thursday, July 30, 2009

Copy network file over command line?

I am wanting to know how to use the copy command (or just any command) to copy a file from a network drive. I've tried..





copy \\servername\path\to\share.xls c:\local\directory





Gives:


The syntax of the command is incorrect.

Copy network file over command line?
first map the network share:





net use x: \\servername\path (where x is the unit that will be assigned)


then run:





copy x:\to\share.xls c:\local\directory





That should be all.
Reply:Try ROBOCOPY.EXE. It's a lot more robust than the CommandCom version and it is network friendly. I did not have to map the network drive to use robocopy. XCOPY may also use a qualified pathname as well but I can't test as xcopy seems not to be on my drive anymore.


No comments:

Post a Comment