Thursday, July 30, 2009

How to configure my software to use the database in SQL 2005?

Hi,


I was initially using a software that used a Naturepath.inf file in C:\Windows in which the syntax was (Server Name) (C:\[Database Physcial Path]. This was the procedure in SQL 2000.





I recently upgraded to SQL 2005. I have attache the database etc perfectly and tried the same method of editing the servername and file path but my software cannot find it.





Are there any changes in SQL 2005 that it doesnt allow physical paths to be given? Or do you think theres a problem with my Software configuration? Oh I did try to avoid the Server name and ask it to access the software to access the database directly as both are on the local computer yet did not work.





Thanks

How to configure my software to use the database in SQL 2005?
Try using the server name as the path. ie:


\\yourcomputername.filename





Good Luck!
Reply:Lack of info for diagnostic.





If it works with query analyzer, then check syntax rules for dozens of cases, some are:





For ODBC:


Driver={SQL Native Client};Server=myServerAddress;Database=...





For Ole DB:


Provider=SQLNCLI;Server=myServerAddres...





For SQLconnection:


Data Source=myServerAddress;Initial Catalog=myDataBase;User Id=myUsername;Password=myPassword;





Use serverName\instanceName as Data Source to connect to a specific SQL Server instance.





For SQL Server 2005 Express, the server name syntax Servername\SQLEXPRESS where you substitute Servername with the name of the computer.


No comments:

Post a Comment